My blog has been a Word Press application for a while now but two things have been bothering me.
- I spent ages playing with the application settings and server settings to try and get the URLs the way I wanted, they are still not what I want. Nothing complex, I justed wanted a little more control.
- There are thousands of plugins that do almost what I want, but none that do exactly what I want. Most are customizable but sometimes you end up having to hack some PHP.
As a web developer, I am used to having full control over my URLs from within the code and would like to tweak the behaviors using the tools and languages I am familiar with.
My original idea was to write a new blog application using ASP.Net MVC, but have since decided to use this as an opportunity to learn something new.
I’ve been spending a lot time recently learning a new language and framework, namely Ruby on Rails. At first it was just to see what all the hype was about but I eventually got hooked. Right now I am in the middle of developing my new blog/website using this fantastic framework.
I’ve already blogged about some of the new stuff I’m learning (Checking page titles with Cucumber) and I will probably have some more posts about it before it goes live.